Dryer Duct Problem -- Suggestions?

Old 03-23-07, 10:34 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Duct Problem -- Suggestions?

My dryer is in an interior room. The dryer duct goes from the interior room, down into the foundation, makes a 90 degree turn, and then travels through the foundation to the outdoor vent. The total length of the duct is about 25 feet. Over the 5 years we've lived in the house, I've had to take an electric blower and clear lint from the duct about every three months or so. Otherwise, the clothes would not dry (we have a gas dryer, so clothes should dry quickly with proper ventilation). I finally decided to remove the outdoor hood and take a look inside the duct. About 9 feet from the outside wall, it appears that the duct is seamed together and when the foundation was poured, croncrete collapsed part of the seam. What's left is about a two inch opening in a four inch duct. I'm sure a lot of lint is trapped behind the obstruction. I took a piece of 10 foot pvc pipe and tried to push against the obstruction. It's as hard as a rock and wouldn't budge. Does anyone know of any way to fix this issue, or am I stuck having to re-route the duct through the interior drywall and out the roof? I have a friend in construction, and when he peaked inside the duct today, his remark was "You've got to be kidding" (referring, of course, to shoddy construction). He's going to talk to some of his subs about this, but any/all thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 03-24-07, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Id say your in for a new vent pipe for sure. Id also check the paper work with the drier. Most say the vent should be only 15 ' long.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: