Trion Electronic Air Cleaner

Old 04-25-07, 06:48 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trion Electronic Air Cleaner

I run my furnace fan nearly non-stop; wife has allergies so I clean my EAC cells monthly. Every time I soak them, the water turns black.

Today when I soaked them (same ritual as always) the water remained clear. The cells still seem like their working though, because I hear the electrical snapping sound they make when the unit is energized.

Does that snapping sound mean the EAC is working or can it be making the snapping sound and not be working properly? Is there any way to test the EAC to make sure it's actually cleaning the air?
Thanks,
Phil

Old 04-25-07, 09:37 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Do you use some kind of cell cleaner or detergent when cleaning your cells? Soaking alone is not sufficient to properly clean electronic filter cells.

You may want to clean the cells twice monthly. Whereas a 'normal" filter increases its dirt catching ability (within reason) the dirtier it gets the opposite is true of electronic cells. The dirtier an electronic "filter" becomes the less effective it becomes.

Generally the snapping sound you hear is an indication of a particularly large dirt particle shorting out the plates and wires or else it is an indication that the cell needs cleaning. My EAC never snaps when clean.

Old 04-26-07, 02:37 AM
R
As a warning to all who have an EAC; Make sure it is child proof. The one purchased years ago came without one. These home units operate at very high voltage at direct current. I accidently touch the contact of the charged section and got hit with the shock of my life.
My unit came with a keyless handle that made the unit accessable to anyone.

I would clean my unit once a year using a high strength detergent that is sold for this purpose at the HVAC distributors. But I could not remove all of the dirt film on the fins. Each year, the snapping sound increased and I finally got tired of it and had it removed. The instructions on the cleaning solution said to spray it on, let sit for a bit, then hose it off. But it was not enough.

Old 04-26-07, 02:13 PM
P
furd,
Sorry, I didn't mean I just soak the cells in plain water. I follow the instructions as stated in the manual.

The manual says to fill the wash tub with enough water to completely cover the cells, and add 2 to 3 ounces of dishwasher detergent, and let the cells soak for 30 minutes. Then, it says to aggitate the cells up and down in the water until they appear clean. Then, it says to hose them off with low pressure water to rinse off. Same with the pre-filters!

Then, it says to let them dry two hours before installing.
In the winter I blow the cells with very-low pressure shop air from my compressor to help speed the dry time.
Phil

Old 04-26-07, 02:56 PM
Wink

I have not found a EAC that works good. People dont keep them clean. We try to tell people to wash then every 2 weeks to keep the home clean. All that black you get off after 4 weeks. Just think about all the other dirt that got by it then. When the black stuff was on the coils. Id say check your AC coil and see how much dirt it has on it. You might want to look at a Air Bear or any iof the 5" filters . They work a lot better.

Old 04-26-07, 04:28 PM
P
Ed,
Compared to what I used to have (1" pleated filter) the EAC so far has been pretty good. I don't clean the cells every two weeks but I do clean them monthly; plus, I run the charcoal filters with it because there's a company nearby my house that custom makes them for about 10 bucks. The Trion brand charcoal filters are about 50 bucks, so for 10 bucks every few months it's worth it. They're basically tight woven, charcoal activated foam; so whatever the EAC misses, the foam will pick up some of it.

Anyway……Getting back to my problem!
I didn't come here to have my EAC critiqued.
I wanted to know if you hear the snapping sound; is that alone an indicator the EAC is working and, is there a way for a homeowner to test the EAC to determine if it’s working properly.
Phil

Old 04-26-07, 05:24 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Okay, the answers to your questions are no and no.

Old 04-26-07, 07:53 PM
P
furd,
Okay.....Thanks and thanks!
Phil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: