What size register for 6" round duct?

Old 05-02-07, 10:56 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size register for 6" round duct?

Maybe I am overthinking this, but right now I have 12x2.25 register boxes in my floors (that are connected to 6" round duct). Now I am going to add the louvered wood registers on top of that. By my calculations the register box just barely supports enough air-flow for 6" round pipe-isn't the wood register going to choke things down considering it is not entirely open? Is this an issue?

Should I go to a 4x10 box, 4x12? I'm not sure how much the standard louvered wood register box chokes things down but I emailed one guy who makes and sells them online and he says even the 4x12 size only has 20 sq. inchs of free flow area. Can anyone provide any advice about this? I see small louvered wood registers in a bunch of houses with 6" pipe yet by my calculations you would need a 6x14 register to actually flow as much through the register as you do through the pipe. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Nick

Old 05-02-07, 10:30 PM
Wink

Id have to ask why do you want wood registers here???????? First I dont think they would pass fire code. The heat runs from a furnace have to be all metal to the outlets. Then we have not the sq " to look at but the register that went on that 6" pipe or boot because of the throw and the spread of the air that you need there. The only wood registers that I know that we have used over the years where for only cold air grils in the floors ( Not for heat registers)

Old 05-03-07, 05:13 AM
A
Ed- You've never seen them like this- http://cgi.ebay.com/4-x-10-Oak-Floor-Vent-Register-Vents-Registers-Grill_W0QQitemZ160112397888QQihZ006QQcategoryZ20598QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ?

Everyone here who has wood floors has these grills...i've never even seen someone with wood floors have metal grates-wouldn't that look odd?

Old 05-03-07, 10:49 AM
Wink

Went to the www they sure look good. But I have never use them for heat at any time. As I said Ill bet if code checks you cant have wood registers .. Now next they would block the air so much that you cant get the throw and spread you need to heat or cool a room as you should. It would also kick up the amp draw on the blower to make it work harder to get air out. Talk about drag with them.
We use steel on the floor. The come all ways . We use the wood grain kind. for in the ceilling use white in steel and aluminum.
That would be like on a steel grill you look at for cold air . You take a 15 % loss on the steel that blocks the sq". Boy what % sq" loss would you look at if you used a wood grill?????????????????????

Old 05-04-07, 04:52 PM
I have wood line like on the E-Bay link on my dining room floor, and I hate it. It don't have the throw.. it just come out and hugs the floor, and low volume of air. I am planning on replacing it with a good vent.

Old 05-04-07, 07:36 PM
T
Many folks with hardwood flooring go with the wood floor registers. Wood floor registers/vents are a popular accessory sold with wood flooring and are sold by wood flooring retailers.

This is the first time that reduced air flow has been a consideration within my experience. I have never read any research that the wood registers reduced air flow and have had no feedback in that regard. There appears to be no manufacturers' info re: relationship of wood registers and airflow reduction.

I realize that building codes vary from area to area, but the issue of wood flooring vents has never been introduced as a code violation at any of the NHBA (National HomeBuilders Assoc.) sessions or seminars that I have attended. Warm air that comes out of ducts should never be hot enough to ignite a register or surrounding flooring material. If in doubt, contact your local building code office.

I know that calculations for size of vents and ducts going to rooms are calculated based on room size plus such factors as direction of exposure, etc. Manufacturers of decorative vents recommend purchasing a vent to fit the size of the opening. They, of course, want to sell those beautiful and expensive vent covers.

What you ask about ratio of vent size to duct work and if ducts are properly sized to room size, requires the expertise of an HVAC expert experienced in properly sizing HVAC units for homes and assessing proper heating/cooling/ducting/vent size to individual rooms within a home. The experts in the HVAC arena can do the calculations. If you are lucky enough to find such an expert, you might want to get an evaluation of your system while you are at it. If you live in a rural and sparsely populated area, finding someone with expertise may be a challenge.

This apparently tends to be beyond the expertise of the average HVAC installer and certainly a DIY junkie like me. Until an HVAC expert provides more detailed info re: the ratios you require, please contact your local building code office for answers to your questions. We would appreciate your posting back with any additional info that you learn.

Old 05-04-07, 08:20 PM
Wink

Like Jay said " I hate it. It don't have the throw.. it just come out and hugs the floor, and low volume of air."
On any heat & cool duct job we put in . Like said what a room needs as to windows door and such After you come up with what you can get in there and what you have to cover as far as CFM and BTU's. Any of the register books will have the throw and spread of a registers, at a given CFM. For floor, wall or ceiling registers. All in steel & alum.
So to take out a thin steel register and put in a thick wood one . Will sure screw things up.
Id say if wood registers is what he wants ok. So now lets take out all the duct back to the furnace . Put in a bigger blower . All new ducts and out lets . Then I can heat and cool the home. I sure know a wood register here wont pass code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: