Air Exchanger / Filter

Old 05-05-07, 04:59 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Exchanger / Filter

Can anyone point me to a good air exchanger that (hopefully) won't cost too much. My son has primarily indoor allergies (diagnosed with more on Thursday), so I would like to find something where I can exchange the indoor air in the winter.

Also, what type of filter would be best to use? Is there one that runs independently of the furnace but still uses the ductwork? Our furnace has a huge blower and is extremely noisy so I don't want to run it all the time.

Also, are there any filters that can be put in on the old style register vents so that the air in the ductwork gets filtered? Or is there a good way to clean the ducts so that's not a concern?

Any other suggestions on what I can do to help my indoor air quality?

I'm tearing out the carpet anywhere except in the bedrooms right now.

Old 05-05-07, 06:21 AM
How old is your current furnace?

If it's an older one, I'd look into updating it into a new 2 stage variable speed equipment, that way you can run the blower all times with very little noise, and soft air flow.

On top of that, have a Media Air Filter like Honeywell F300, or Air Bear or Aprilaire 2400.

Air exchanger, there are a lot of them out there, My parents has Lifebreath and works well as the others I've seen out there. You are going to need the furnace fan to run to move the fresh air, if you don't want the fan as you said earlier, you could just run the exchanger fresh air into a room, but your not getting a whole house benifit.

I know you could have the DR. write this up for your tax write off.

Old 05-05-07, 06:29 AM
C
I think the furnace is around 18 years old. I'm not 100% sure, I'd have to go down and look. We've only been here 3 years. I know we're going to have to update it at some point but I'm not sure that's in the budget right now.

I'll have to look at the products you suggested. Thanks, I didn't even know where to start.

I'll have to look into the tax write off thing.

Old 05-05-07, 08:51 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
http://www.aprilaire.com/index.php?znfAction=ProductsCat&category=ventilation
Jay also spoke of Lifebreath. They are both good! Filters at the grill are a no no! Look at a media filter airbear are space guard. Find a good duct cleaner in your area. Most homes take about 5 to 8 hours to do right. They need to be cleaning all the duct, AHU, pull the blower and clean, chemical clean evaporator coil and have some kind of brush technology if the dirt does not come off with 175psi air.

Old 05-06-07, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Just popping in. I recently had a Carrier electronic cleaner installed. Two stage fan, letting it run all the time. And what a difference!! Of course in 4 weeks, I have cleaned it twice. Even cleaning the ducts left a little residue, so I banged a little on the return and it sounded like a bug zapper going off. Now, nothing but clean air.

Old 05-07-07, 01:26 PM
Wink

You have to clean a EAC filter ever 2 week or more . To make them work good for you. That is why we take more and more out all the time . People dont keep them clean . Go with A V/S blower on a new furnace 90% A good media air filter like said.

Old 05-08-07, 01:15 PM
C
I appreciate all the information. I haven't had any time to look at it, as I'm dealing with a leak I discovered when I was removing the carpet. It hid the water coming in behind the furniture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: