Nutone Fan Rotation

Old 06-15-07, 01:58 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Nutone Fan Rotation

Hi' I had a Nutone utility fan in my kitchen. It stopped working. I can't read the label on the motor to see what model was the fan. My fan looks like Nutone model # 8210 and 8490. I don't know the duct size either. I'm not a handyman and I really need help. The model #8210 and 8490 both use the same motor. I found a different motor by another company , it looks exactly the same. The new motor I found has a clockwise and counter clockwise rotation. My old fan was installed to a vertical duct venting through the roof. The back of the motor was facing the floor and the shaft towards the roof. i don't know which way the fan motor turned. Can someone please help me find the rotation of the motor and tell me which motor to buy. The motor I found was 115V .80amps 60hrtz.

Thank You
RajRac

Old 06-15-07, 06:40 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
I suggest you take the old motor to a local motor repair shop & let them identify it. Trying to install a "look alike" motor may or may not work, as RPM, HP, shaft diameter, and rotation (as you noted) are critical.

You can determine the correct rotation of your ceiling exhaust fan this way--With the motor & fan installed, if you spin the fan blade by hand, the leading edge of the blade will be closest to the floor. Hope that makes sense! From my experience, most fans of this type run CW, as facing the shaft-end of the motor.

Also, are you certain the old motor is dead? Try unplugging it, and plug it into a wall outlet and see if it runs. If it tries to go, but runs slow, try adding a few drops of oil to the oil ports.
Good luck & post back if you have any more questions!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: