odor in the air from heat pump or ductwork?

Old 07-19-07, 01:10 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
odor in the air from heat pump or ductwork?

I have been in this home for 3 months and theres a musty odor(old home odor) in the air . I only notice this odor when i walk in from the outside then my senses get use to it within seconds wich is a bad thing because I think my body is just adapting to it.
any ideas what this could be?
the heat pump and ductwork are 20 yrs old and I doubt the prior owner had it serviced at all unless it totally stopped working.

Zim

Old 07-19-07, 05:58 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Have it serviced. Do you have a basement. Do you have a dehumidifier?

Old 07-19-07, 06:25 AM
Z
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
Have it serviced. Do you have a basement. Do you have a dehumidifier?
yes to both airman!

have the heat pump serviced or the ductwork?

thanks

Old 07-19-07, 07:31 AM
After reading your other post you have a 21 yr old unit. I would not do anything to the unit. Id replace it after you do all your updating to the home.

Old 07-19-07, 10:10 AM
Z
hey airman ,
I have a home owners warrenty

I was gonna place a call in because the fan is hitting something and making a loud noise ever since I moved in but I figured I would wait and see what other problems I could identify.

do you have any reccomendations on what I should say to the warrenty company when I call them. In the brochure it says covered items ,heatpump , ductwork, furnace ect and claim they will relpace anything they cant fix.. but I bet this odor issue will be something they slip out of even though theres no mention of it.

I would just like to at least have the person they send out to fix the fan, identify whats causing the other problems.

any suggestions on what to say?

Old 07-19-07, 06:50 PM
Well i'm not a fan of home warranties! but id tell them about the odor and the noise. They should be able to fix the noise. But in the end you will still have a 21 yr old unit. Id look at replacing it.

Old 07-19-07, 07:30 PM
Z
im not a fan anymore either!
it was a quick decision after our first home purchase, I wont be renewing thats for sure!

on another note I brought up the dehudifier from the basement and after the huidity fropped to 45% i really dont notice that odor, so what does this say?

ill monitor for a few days just to make sure im accurate!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: