Air circulation needs help

Old 07-21-07, 06:31 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air circulation needs help

I have a 1950, pier and beam, 900sf, frame house. I need to keep the air flowing to cool the place without having to use the a/c so much.

I found the attic vents, cleaned them out. I checked all the registers around the outside of the house, all of them are clear.

--One of the threads mentioned a fresh air intake. How do I find it?
--In my garage, there is an area that should be venting, but isn't. The vents are clear, but I can't get any air flow whatsoever. (Massive hot air buildup) Should I cut another register on the outside of the house, or should I be looking for something else?

Old 07-22-07, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I take it your furnace is in the garage in a utiliiy room? If so, and this opening you see is most likely your fresh air that is needed for the furnace and water heater. There won't be any air movement on it. just only will bring in air as needed if the water heating is running, and you will feel more come in in the winter when the air is much colder outside. So don't add any fan or anything to this.. Air just comes in as needed.

As for fresh air, some home will have a 6" pipe coming in from the outside tied into the return ductwork. There is pro and cons about it.. If you run your fan all times, bringing in this fresh air is going to warm up your house, and also puts a load on the system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: