Vent attic of mobile home

Old 08-08-07, 01:13 PM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Vent attic of mobile home

I have an 1985 mobile home I use for my workshop. I just have electric running from my house to it. Only 30 amps. So forget the air conditioner. I was wondering if venting the attic space would help it stay a little cooler. The front of the trailer has an overhang that projects about 18 inches past the sidewall. I know I could cut holes and install vents on the underside of this overhang. But what about the other end? The roof and sidewall there and along the sides of the trailer are flush with just that 1/2 inch gutter thing at the roofline. Could I put vents there near the attic height to help vent? Would vents like in a foundation work to keep rain out? I can remove the pipe from the water heater (not there now) and replace it with a whirl-ey-gig to draw the hot air out, but how do I get cooler air in?

Old 08-08-07, 03:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
Does your MH have the 3/12 pitch roof? [not almost flat]

Most MHs with the 3/12 roof also have vaulted ceilings. If all the ceilings are vaulted there is no real attic space suitable for air circulation. Some of these types have flat ceilings in the bed rms so it might be feasable to vent that portion.

Vents in the side walls would be useless. The framing and insulation would prevent air circulation. An exhaust fan drawing air out of the MH thru the water heater vent [enlarged] may help some. An exhaust fan on the top portion of an exterior wall should also be benificial.

Does the roof have kool seal on it? or is it shingled? The only good way I know of to lower the temp [other than AC] is to install a roof over that allows for more insulation and air circulation.

Old 08-08-07, 06:26 PM
Thank you for replying. Yes I have a not quite flat roof with not quite kool seal, more like alum. tar. I opened the hole in the ceiling at the heater vent and I have over 2 feet of air space to the roof from ceiling. Looks like 3 1/2 inches of insulation too. This is almost at the center of the roof. Looks to be 6 to 8 inches of room at the sidewalls. Mostly I was wondering if the foundation type vents would keep rain out.

Old 08-09-07, 06:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
A soffit vent would be better than a foundation vent. Silicone the top and sides when you install it.

Old 08-09-07, 08:32 AM
Thank you! Not today though it is supposed to be 105 today second day in a row and not much relief in sight.

Old 08-09-07, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Why not a vent fan in a window bloweing out on one end and open a window on the other. Will work like a whole house fan.

Old 08-13-07, 02:04 PM
Ed, That will work while I am in the shop but I was trying to get it cooler before I go there. I do not leave the electric on when not there. The shop is on the other side of 2 acres from the house. Still over 100 degrees outside. Has been for a week now and the cooler (90's) weather may not show till Friday. I have been looking at vents to put in that overhang though. And I have installed the whirly-gig. That was fun!!! Did it early in the morning (9 am) when it was only 80 degrees.
Hey, I have a gable mount attic fan (thermo. control) can I put it on the wall over the old range vent? You know the kind that you pull the chain to open and close? The motor there is bad but the vent is good. Would the fan be useless as it is larger than the opening? Not sure I can find the original shutters for the gable vent. I know they would be better. This would save having to set the fan in the window each time I go in and taking it out when I leave.

Last edited by badeyeben; 08-13-07 at 02:11 PM. Reason: add last part

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: