Wall Cap Install

Old 08-31-07, 08:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall Cap Install

I am running 6" round duct to a wall cap from a range hood, to be mounted on an exterior wall with vinyl siding. The wall cap install instructions say to cut the siding the full size of the square flashing around the wall cap, which is about 12" x 12". This seems strange -- I would have thought you would cut the siding to fit around the wall cap opening and work the flashing underneath the siding. Any comments or suggestions from those smarter than I?

Old 08-31-07, 06:09 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I don't know if I am smarter than you but I would do similar to what you are thinking.

Vinyl siding has a high factor of expansion and contraction so I would not trim the vinyl too close to the wall jack but would allow at least an inch, maybe more, for movement. Ideally you would want to build a frame of J channel around the wall jack to cover the ends of the siding.

Old 08-31-07, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Dont know if you have the room there. We run all the 6" vents out the walls with the 3 1/4"X 10" vent . Made for just that. If you go with what you have . Like said you have to put a J mold around it so the siding expansion and contraction can move

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: