Finishing basement hoping to move a duct?

Old 09-10-07, 06:49 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing basement hoping to move a duct?

I'm not sure if this is again code or not - but have not seen this question asked here.
Planning to drywall the ceiling to finish a room in the basement. There is one 5" heating duct feeding a room on the main floor whose duct crosses down over a few ceiling joists then rises back up the ceiling again. (taking away valuable headspace downstairs)
The joists are 9" and the duct is 5". Is it a criminal act to cut a hole through the joists for this heat vent duct?
I read that cutting holes through joists is generally frowned upon - but if you do - leave at least 2" above and below the hole to keep some integrity. These holes would be a foot or two from the wall (near the edge of the room) The math adds up but I'd like to hear some opinions.
Bad idea?

Old 09-10-07, 08:03 PM
I am going to say bad ideal... it all depends on where the joist is at, and what not... You are best to get some one out there to see it, or post a photo here for us to see.

Old 09-11-07, 01:36 AM
Wink

a few ceiling joists

How many is a few????? Like Jay said dont do it. Can you run that pipe different from its take off in the duct. Make it go under the joist some place else.

Old 09-11-07, 07:03 PM
G
Upon further investigation, they recommend minimum 2" above & below your hole in joist - however - not to exceed 1/3 of the joist width. So no I can't do it. (the duct was feeding an upstairs room and was only a few feet long - so maybe two joists - but I'll just box it in and frame around it)
Thanks for the opinions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: