Help! Never opened fresh air intake for years and sister panicking about kids...

Old 11-07-07, 07:34 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! Never opened fresh air intake for years and sister panicking about kids...

Hi. This is my first post, I hope someone can help me. My sister who lives in Lakeville, MN, bought a brand new house almost three years ago. When they moved in they had two children (then 6 and 3). Subsequently she had a baby boy. They have been bothered by mold in moist areas of the home, and the homebuilder came by today to inspect the problem, and he became very concerned for the family's well-being as the fresh air intake had never been used EVER since they moved in. In previous homes, she says she doesn't remember having to do this manually, it happened automatically. Anyway, she is freaking out because since it is a new home with new paint, furnishings, flooring, etc. there are all sorts of toxins that have been being recirculated around the home and she is terrified her children will have long-term health problems. Anything on the net is quite negative, citing a range of health issues including death! Anyone have any input?

Old 11-08-07, 06:12 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Id say that your sister is blowing this out of proportion. Id say the biggest thing would be the mold, Which should have nothing to do with the fresh air. The many things the fresh air will do will be to lower voc levels in a new home. But voc levels are rally that high for very long. 2nd - will help with co and co2 problems, with co being top of the list.

Old 11-09-07, 12:58 AM
M
Thanks

Excuse my ignorance but what is voc? I will tell her that she is lucky they didn't get co poisoning! I am trying to reassure her, but she is very protective and thinks something bad is going to hapen to her kids!

Thanks!

Old 11-09-07, 02:43 AM
VOC = Volatile Organic Compounds

You can read what the EPA has to say about them at http://www.epa.gov/iaq/voc.html.

Old 11-09-07, 06:09 AM
I agree, I think your sister is going overboard. I am sure she has opened the windows in the house on mild days we get here in Minnesota.

Old 11-09-07, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What are these fresh air intakes you are talking about? I've owned three new houses over the years, and I've never heard of them, so evidently they aren't a common item here in Kansas.

Old 11-09-07, 09:37 AM
Fresh air is tied to the return duct work. The pipe will be about 6" round, and outside will be a dryer like hood w/ screen to keep the bugs out. It may not be a common thing in your area, also instead of fresh air, most newer home up here will have air exchanger of some type to bring in fresh air, and pull out stail aour out.

When homes has the air exchanger, there is a pipe brought into the room to provide make up air in the winter for water heater, dryer, and exhaust fan in the home.

Old 11-09-07, 09:41 AM
It's becoming code in a lot of areas with new construction. They build homes so tight these days that you need it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: