Attic Ventilation

Old 11-13-07, 06:22 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic Ventilation

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I just joined because this looks like the best place to post about my problem (me being a relatively new homeowner).

I moved into a townhouse about 2 years ago and during our inspection, the inspector noted: "The vented soffit panels were covered with insulation. The insulation should be removed from the overhangs and install Styrofoam baffles to allow for adequate ventilation." Well, I'm just now getting around to fixing it

I went to Home Depot and bought some 22" baffles, which supposedly go inbetween the (joists? trusses?) 24" apart from each other. The problem I have is that if I nail the baffles to the roof as my crudely drawn diagram below shows, then they do absolutely nothing to block the insulation or help airflow. The only solution I can come up with would be to cut a bunch of 24" pieces of wood and nail them inbetween the trusses to block the insulation. This should completely eliminate the need for baffles, correct?

Not sure why my situation is different. A lot of the "how-to" video's a pictures show people nailing the baffles directly to the roof, but I guess my attic has a larger gap between the roof and the floor down near the soffit for them to work correctly?

Old 11-14-07, 12:48 PM
C
I've never done this, but I found these two links that might provide you some insight:

http://www.southface.org/web/resourc...lings_4pdf.pdf
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...4780-2,00.html

Old 11-14-07, 05:40 PM
Wink

Id say that wild. The insulation should not be out in the overhang at all. The bottom part of the baffles should end right at the outside edge of the top plate there. So air from the overhang vents can get over the insulation and up into the attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: