How To Replace Furnace Fan

Old 11-17-07, 01:20 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How To Replace Furnace Fan

I want to replace the fan on my 30 year old central forced warm air furnace with a new fan that has a high & low speed setting. Then I want to be able to run just the fan to recirculate the air at low speed when I dont need heat. ( a new thermostat with a "fan only" setting I presume?) Is this a homeowner do-able project? (I'm pretty handy)

Old 11-17-07, 07:31 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I don't know what everybody else thinks about it but with a 30 yr old furnace you might be better off replacing the hole thing rather than spending the money to make your two speed set up work.

Old 11-17-07, 11:19 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
I don't know what everybody else thinks about it but with a 30 yr old furnace you might be better off replacing the hole thing rather than spending the money to make your two speed set up work.

I dont really use the furnace for heat anymore as I have been burning coal for over 20 years. I just want to use the furnace fan to move air around.

Old 11-17-07, 02:23 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You may have a belt-driven blower on that antique. If so you could replace the existing motor with a two (or possibly more) speed motor. You would then need to apply the required switching to be able to utilize the multiple speeds.

If all you want is a slower speed then you could probably just change the pulley size, assuming you do have a belt-drive.

If you have a direct-drive blower it may very well already have a multiple speed motor although not connected to allow easy speed change.

Some pictures of the furnace with the blower compartment door open would help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: