Sizing cold air return

Old 12-14-07, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sizing cold air return

I have 2 gas furnaces in our house . I just added a great room 20x25 with 3 4x12 (7 inch) heating vents and was wondering if a 16x8 cold air return would suffice or should I go larger. The trunk for the cold air return is an 8 x 12 trunk that is existing but could be changed . there are 3 6 x 8 returns existing in other parts of the house.

I also have a 15 x 17 room that has 4 4x12 (7 inch) heating vents off of the 2nd furnace ,and was planning on running a 16x8 trunk line for the returns and a 14x8 trunk for heat. would the 16x8 return be enough for this ???

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-07, 04:28 PM
Wink

Out of the box here. But 3-- 7" = 405 CFM so to get that back to the furnace you need about A 9 " pipe or say a 8X8 . Dont make a furnace have to work to get air back to it. But this all goes back to how or what the other duct work is like

Old 12-14-07, 05:10 PM
thanks

The other ductwork is not great they put cold air returns in every room that are 6 inch(3 of them) running thru 6 " flex back to the main furnace.I am working on changing them out also. Thank you very much for the info