Nuts and Bolts of Duct Design and Installation?

Old 12-17-07, 08:59 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nuts and Bolts of Duct Design and Installation?

I want to understand the nuts and bolts of putting metal duct together and attaching it to the furnace.

I have a Coleman Heat Pump with a propane backup. The contractor did a poor job designing the duct system.

I would like to design a new system. It is in a basement with high ceilings, and I plan to put in drop ceiling. However, there is a beam running along the length of the (modular) house perpendicular to the joists, making transition between the 2 sides challenging. There are gaps above the beam 4-1/2 tall and several feet long all along the beam to allow runs through. The placement of the furnace also makes trunk line design non-trivial.

I understand the mathematics can be solved using a ductolator or equivalent.

What I need to know is specifics of
- how are duct components put together
- tools I need to put duct together
- design options so I can solve the spacial issues
- explanation of duct terms

Is there a resource for residential specifics?

Thanks!

Old 12-17-07, 11:17 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I suggest that you go to your public library and check the books in the applied technology section (Dewey Decimal 621.00 or 629.00 if I remember correctly.) You will find books on sheet metal working and on heating systems. The older Audel's manuals are particularly good.

Old 12-19-07, 07:52 PM
P
Thanks! I shall check them out.

Any other suggestions out there?

Old 12-21-07, 03:30 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
These will get you started.

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related/Ductwork.pdf
http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/DesignGu...stallation.pdf

The problems I see, though, are often as much or more the result of improper design (ex: failure to properly estimate room-by-room loads, plan for return air paths, and the like) than installation problems.

Old 12-21-07, 03:10 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Michael is absolutely correct that design is as important as installation. It has been more than twenty years since I did any duct design so I can't help with specifics.

While you are at the library see if they have any ASHRAE manuals. The older ones have a wealth of information on duct design.

Keep your air velocities low or you will have a noisy system.

Old 12-30-07, 03:05 PM
P
thanks!

thanks again, for the links and suggestions, I shall check it out

(sorry for the delayed response)

Edit: the above response was a quickie

after looking carefully at Michael's links, those links are excellent! Especially the AlpineHomeAir pdf; much more detailed information than I have found previously.

I am following the advice (x2) to carefully design the system, as I want to do this just once more.

Thus, I shall continue to collect good advice, and hope this comes together soon.

Any more out there?

Last edited by Pete Homeowner; 12-30-07 at 03:21 PM. Reason: reviewed the links more carefully
Old 12-30-07, 06:35 PM
Michael, great link!!!
BTW, the link, I believe, shows a chapter from a book I use often: Heating & Cooling Essentials, by Jerry & LaDonna Killinger.

Pete: to really get up to snuff with the ins and outs of duct design, I highly recommend Acca-D. and you'll need to brush-up on load calculations as well, this from Acca-J

http://www.acca.org/store/category.php?cid=1

Old 12-30-07, 07:19 PM
P
Originally Posted by pflor View Post
Michael, great link!!!
BTW, the link, I believe, shows a chapter from a book I use often: Heating & Cooling Essentials, by Jerry & LaDonna Killinger.

Pete: to really get up to snuff with the ins and outs of duct design, I highly recommend Acca-D. and you'll need to brush-up on load calculations as well, this from Acca-J

http://www.acca.org/store/category.php?cid=1
Yet more good info! HVAC books are not cheap, so it is good to know which ones to get.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: