Installed adjustable thermostat, don't know what wires go where...all messed up!

Old 01-15-08, 08:02 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Installed adjustable thermostat, don't know what wires go where...all messed up!

I installed a "Honeywell RTH7000" adjustable thermostat to replace a non-adjustable "Honeywell TH5220D" thermostat.

I did so to save a few bucks but I guess I wired things up wrong or set it up wrong in the system settings.

After wiring the new thermostat in I noticed the following:

The system heats up quickly to the temperature which I pre-programmed, but after that it blows "non-heated" air and the fan never shuts off.

My monthly electric bill tripled due to this.

This time I tried to change the system setup to "heat pump" without backup or auxiliary heat.

This allowed the fan to come off at the preset temperature, but it takes about 8 hours to warm the inside temperature from 62 degrees to 68 degrees!!

My biggest mistake was that when I moved in I was in a major rush and didn't write down what each wire was initially connected to on the non adjustable heat pump.

I don't know a thing about HVAC. I am from Florida and couldn't even tell you the difference between central AC and a heat pump.

I am in Central VA now by the way.

Down there everyone used central AC and I have never even heard of a heat pump and don't know what the difference is.

All I know is that it is getting very expensive to run the heater and I am ABSOLUTELY terrified of bringing someone into my home to lie to me and gouge me for $3000!!! (It has happened before and I am sure it won't be the last time).

I am an Electronics Technician and have taken SOME resedential wiring classes. I am also an Information Technology Professional.
I think that I could figure this out with some help!

This is the wiring that exists at the thermostat and where I have attached them to:

Blue to "C"
Green to "G"
Yellow to "Y"
Orange to "W"
Red to "R"
White to "W2"

Black Wire (definitely was not connected to anything when I got here)

Brown Wire (definitely was not connected to anything when I got here)

I don't know what made me connect any of these wires to the above mentioned points on the adjustable thermostat (I guess the instructions did to a degree, but there are so many possible configurations etc)

For starters, I am going to guess that the first thing would be to ask you all whether or not the system seems to be a heat pump or central AC based on the above mentioned wires and not what they are connected to.

I can also tell you that the AC worked just fine in the summer.

Any thoughts on what wires go where?

I am sorry if this is a tall order. I guess things happen.

Thank you for your time!!

Old 01-15-08, 02:16 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Jay is our resident expert on that Honeywell thermostat and he will be along shortly to help you out.

Generally speaking the wire colors are Red= power, Green= blower, White= heat and Yellow= cooling.

These colors are often supplemented with others when multi-stage heating or cooling are involved.

Without knowing how the wires are connected at the furnace / air handler I cannot give any absolute answers.

You really do need to understand whether you have a conventional forced air furnace fired by either gas, oil or electricity; or a heat pump with supplemental heat provided by either a fossil fuel or electricity.

Does your air conditioning system outside unit run when the heat is on? If yes, then you have a heat pump.

Old 01-15-08, 04:26 PM
J
Thank you for your time.

That is a pretty good way to help define the unit type to a layman.

The fan within the AC unit outside does turn all the time.

The AC unit is a Goodman if that helps. I went outside the other day to get the model number but I don't have it right now.

I could also post the model number if that would be helpful, but don't want to post anything that isn't useful.

FYI, I determined from the model number that it is a 2 ton unit. It also looks like it hasn't been there for more than 2 yrs if that helps.

Thanks!!

Old 01-15-08, 08:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Wink

The fan within the AC unit outside does turn all the time.
Blue to "C"
Green to "G"
Yellow to "Y"
Orange to "W"
Red to "R"
White to "W2"
If this is a heat pump that Orange should go to a O/B

Old 01-31-08, 02:17 PM
J
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
If this is a heat pump that Orange should go to a O/B

It sure is a heatpump. It is a Goodman cple24-1c.

I am going to take a closer look and see what I did.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: