Air Return?

Old 01-25-08, 10:41 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Return?

I'm getting quotes to replace my 12 year old central air and heating. I have a one story house.
The first company stated that my air return in the hallway (near the floor) is using wall space to carry to the unit. He suggested it would better (more efficent) if he would put a return in the ceiling and not use those. There is one other one in the family room near floor he said he would block too. It is close to the hallway. He said this way is more air tight and would keep down the dust that is probably coming from the insulation in the attic. He told me new house are not allowed to use the wall space for the return anymore.

Another company came out to do an esitmate and he would not do it becuase he didn't want to change the structure of the house.
I tend to believe the first guy. What do you guys think?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-08, 11:21 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I would prefer sheet metal ducts over wall spaces but unless he quoting for a filter grille on the return air duct the statement about less dust makes no sense as the filter would be installed at the furnace.

In my opinion a filter grille is less desirable than a filter at the furnace. I would suggest that a filter housing that can use a four-inch pleated filter be installed at the furnace.

As for whether or not stud spaces alone may be used for RA ducts...it is a matter of local code.

Old 01-26-08, 07:58 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

No he was not going to put a filter there. Just an alternate to using the studed wall space.
I'm having a difficult time finding any code on the internet that speaks to that. Would there be an organization setup in the state (for helping the consumer) that would answer questions in regards to local code?

Old 01-27-08, 06:12 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
It would probably be in the state building or mechanical code. Your local jurisdiction could alter (add to or subtract from) the state code.

The first place to ask is your local building department.