Types of HVAC Filters for Allergies

Old 02-25-08, 09:26 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Types of HVAC Filters for Allergies

Hi, I have two forced air HVAC units in my home. I also have high sensitivies to things like dust, pollen, pet dander, mites, etc.

I've been using the high end 1" filters from 3M the past year and I noticed a difference in my allergies.

Recently I've seen these elctrostatic filters, for like $200-$400 each. You plug them in via a 24volt plug.

I did a search here and some older posts, maybe 2 years ago, said these "EAC" arent worth the money.

- Is this still true?

- Whats the best type of filter media these days?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-08, 02:09 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
The 3m and EAC filters won't get you a lot of love from most of the board. Id talk to some indoor air quality people in your area and see what they will recomend for you.

Old 02-25-08, 03:24 PM
Wink

Forget the EAC Yes they do work . But people dont keep them clean so they dont work . Might look at a Air Bear filter for there.

Old 02-26-08, 10:02 AM
B
Airman - oK thanks

Ed Imeduc - thank you! Ok, I'll do some research on the "Air Bear". But its good to know that the EACs do what they say they do...if you keep it clean.

Old 02-26-08, 11:08 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
The retrofit electronic air filters that will insert into a one or two inch "standard" filter rack will not work anywhere near as well as the original equipment type that have a four or five inch thick cell.

As Ed states, the electronic filter does work extremely well IF it is kept clean. Usually this means cleaning it every two weeks. Unlike the conventional filter which filters more as it gets older (and dirtier) the EAC filters less as it gets dirty.

The ideal set up (which I am going to do this summer) is to have a pleated box filter first and then the EAC. The box filter will collect the gross dirt leaving the EAC to collect the fine particles. This system would allow the EAC to go longer between cleanings.