Wood Burning Stove Option

Old 03-01-08, 08:38 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood Burning Stove Option

i am interested in a woodburning stove.
can anyone tell me everything i need to know as far as reasonable prices, and installing it myself.

Old 03-01-08, 09:03 AM
In our area, you follow the manufacturer's install instructions.

We have a morso and love it. Cast iron is the classic material but you can get fancy ones w/ soapstone too. Make sure your wood is well seasoned (dry) before burning to reduce creosote buildup.

Old 03-01-08, 06:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
First off we need to know what you have to hook the wood stove up to. Is there an existing chimney with a thimbel? or are you going thru the fireplace? installing stove pipe?

Used wood stoves are often priced fairly cheap in the spring. New stoves will start at about $200 and can go as high as $2000, it all depends on what you want.

Old 03-30-08, 04:06 PM
M
Woodburning Stove

HI, thanks for the reply, sorry i took so long to reply.
anyway, i recently got a Preway woodburning fireplace from a friend who had it for years but never installed it. its in pretty good shape. i just need to know what steps i need to take to correctly install this.
it came with an installation manual, which is good, but i just wanted to know a little more about this one.

is preway a good brand?
should i install it over a tile base?
sorry if you're shaking your head, i just want to make sure i do everything right, cause i really want to install it, but i dont want to do it wrong.

thanks...........................

Old 03-31-08, 04:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I'm not familiar with preway.

You always want to install a stove over a non combustible surface. Mine is setting on quarry tile. Tile or masonary is preferred but an metal pan/tray is acceptable.

Old 03-31-08, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
You don't say what chimney system you are using.
This is an important part to get right.

Another thing you will need to do is contact your home insurance company.
They will need to ok the installation to insure it complies with code and will need to include it in your home's policy.

You would not likely have coverage if they didn't approve of it in writing.

Old 03-31-08, 02:59 PM
Wink

Im with GregH
You will know All the should have or could have. If you go down and check CODE out first.

Old 03-31-08, 03:11 PM
J
The preway fireplace is an older fireplace unit ( maybe 30 yrs)
The company is no longer in business. Parts are not available but, if you have all the pipe and accessories you should be able to install this without any problem. The fireplace is not unlike the fireplaces they build now except for the type of chimney they designed for it. It uses a solid filled chimney instead of an air insulated one. I have never installed one but have serviced many of them. If you follow the directions that came with it you will be installing it in accordance with the listing. Whether Warnock-Hersey or U.L. the fireplace was tested and listed so you need to abide by the instructions. Such as clearances around the fp unit and the pipe to combustibles. I would guess you won't need to put non- combustibles under the fireplace itself. Lucky you have instructions. Use them and don't leave out any firestops between floors. Depending on the codes for your area this fireplace might not be allowed. Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: