air return insulation

Old 03-01-08, 05:07 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
air return insulation

the insulation in my air return box needs to be replaced. Is that something that can be done DIY? Are there any particular insulation products anyone would reccomend for ease of installation? I am in south Fl. if that makes any difference in products used ( a/c is always on).

Old 03-01-08, 07:55 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Can you just coat it! Or remove it and wrap the box?

Old 03-02-08, 11:31 AM
C
The air return box sits in my garage. Currently it is insulated on the inside...can I wrap the outside of the box in insulation instead even if it sits in the hot garage? That would be so much easier!!

Old 03-02-08, 05:39 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Yes you can wrap it!

Old 03-03-08, 11:36 AM
Wink

Dont get it. In any units I know of down there in FL. When the unit is out in the garage that way . The inside of it is lined with duct board. Thats code.

Old 03-03-08, 02:08 PM
C
The box is made of plywood with a hole cut on the top that the air handler sits on and a hole that leads into my house with a (large) vent. The inside of the box is insulated with what looks to me to be regular old insulation (pink underneath the mettalic looking outside). It is currently in very poor condition. Is duct board something available at Home Depot?

Old 03-03-08, 04:07 PM
Wink

Might try any small AC shop they would have the ductboard. Like you say about all AC units down there now have to go in that way for code. You could put the new ductboard in . Through that filter grill there in the home.

Old 03-03-08, 04:33 PM
M
AC Repair Success

You can wrap the outside or line the inside it doesn't matter if you want clean and quick you can use bubble wrap but it is a little more expensive, for cost effectiveness you can use regular wrap for the outside 2" or 3" 3" is the new code standard since 06 but obviously you will not have an inspector but if you don't insulate and your return is in a hot garage saving money oin insulation now will cost you in electrical bills all summer long

Old 03-05-08, 06:46 AM
C
Thanks for the responses!!! I appreciate the info!!! I'll be saving about $600 ( the quote I got from a local a/c guy) and that's a savings we could really use, so thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: