Help with Basics

Old 03-06-08, 09:57 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with Basics

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help with a very very basic question. I need to move a heat vent over about two feet in my 1920's home. I have the new wall stack and register boot I need (all the same size as what is already there, rigid rectangle type), as well as an old pair of tin snipes and duct tape. I have an unfinished basement so I can see and get at everything fine.
How do I remove the old register boot from the venting without ruining the existing line?
How do I attach the new pieces together correctly? It can't just be duct tape, can it? What other tools will I need?
Thanks for your time and patience with a young new home owner!

Old 03-07-08, 12:30 AM
M
Old School Ductwork

If this ductwork is OE it will have small regular panhead screws in it and you will just need a small straight blade screwdriver if it has been altered it will have zip screws and a 1/4" nutdriver will do it you remove the insulation and ductape there should be 4 screws or so around the fitting coming into the boot then where the boot penetrates the floor there will be screws or galvanized nail holding the boot to the floor remove these and everything should come apart

Old 03-07-08, 05:38 AM
Z
Thank you!
I'll give that a try.

Old 03-07-08, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

A lot of the old wall stacks Had small cuts in them. that the slips catch on . So if you see S slips on them . Bend the S slip out with a screw drive and the pipe should fall off the wall stack. Or if you have silps and drives . Bend the small end of the drive back in line with it and tap it off the duct. You will have one on each side of the duct and a slips on the other two sides.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: