Finishing basement

Old 03-21-08, 03:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing basement

I have a 2 year old bi level home that I am finishing the lower level on. It will be 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, and 1 large living room. I plan on running 6" duct 1 in each bedroom, 1 in the bathroom, and 3 in the living room (2 to one far wall and one to the other side). In the bedrooms I will be using the wall for the cold air returns. In the living room, the main supply line runs down the middle of the room with the soffit built around it. I know the return should be by the floor but there is no way of doing so. Can I put the cold air return at the bottom of the soffit? Also what size Register boots should be used? The ceiling is 8ft. Upstairs they used the 2 1/4 x12 register. Do I need to use a special register boot for ceilings or will the regular floor ones work? Thanks Dan

Old 03-21-08, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

For the run in the basement. Run them out to 12" off the outside walls. Yes use the 2X12" boot turned down and a 2"X 12 register on it cold air return pick it up at the floor line for sure. Most of the time we use a 6"X14" grill for the return this fits over a drywall cut out in a stud wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: