location for return vent

Old 03-24-08, 06:11 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
location for return vent

I just had a two stage lennox furnace installed along with a central a/c. The house was built for heat in the 60's. There are just two reurn vents. one in the finished basement close to the floor and one at the top of the stairs(raised ranch house) the return one the second floor is very loud would it be really bad to put the reurn on the ceiling to deaden the noise.

Old 03-24-08, 10:05 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
When you state the return is very loud do you mean a whistling noise at the grille or just a loud whoosh sound?

In either case the reason is high-velocity air and it is caused by having an undersized return air system.

If it is the grille whistling sometimes you can use a pair of pliers to straighten the fins of the grille and this may stop the whistling. If it is more of the whoosh sound it will require more drastic measures that may be as much as having to increase the size of the return air duct (and grille) all the way back to the furnace.

Start by removing the return air grille and see if that helps significantly.

Old 03-24-08, 10:23 PM
M
thanks for the reply

it is a whistling noise at the grille

Old 03-24-08, 10:26 PM
M
When I take the grille off the noise stops. I am waiting for the company that installed the furnace to sent me a grille with larger holes. The grille I have now is what I understand is a stamped grille.

Old 03-24-08, 10:30 PM
M
i think i would pefer to have the return from the ceiling.

thanks againn for the response

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: