Finishing Basement

Old 04-07-08, 06:01 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing Basement

I am looking to start finishing off my basement, and I am looking for a little guidance as to hvac ducts and returns. My basement is aprox 1300sq ft it will consist of one large rec room aprox 800sq ft and then 3 other rooms (two bed and one laundry/ bathroom) The furnace is located in a proposed closet to be partitioned from the rest of the laundry room. Is that ok?. In this closet there are 2 air vents which go from the ouside of my home into the closet, one ceiling and one at floor level. I am thinking one heat duct in each of the small rooms and 3 in the large room. the heating also has a common wall with the main rec room which I plan on putting a vent in. What I am wondering is what would be needed for cold air returns in the basement. Will the external air intakes and the vent to the main room be enough or will I need to add aditional vents in the 2 bed rooms? Thanks for the help. Mitch

Old 04-08-08, 07:57 AM
R
It seems to me that if you are not going to keep the doors shut on those smaller rooms, that you don't need any returns in those rooms. I am thinking about 1 adequate return built into the AC unit with access to the whole of the basement. The supply ducts seem adequate. Our house has one main return for the whole house built into the closet housing the hvac unit.

Old 04-08-08, 01:04 PM
Wink

I take it that closet has out side air comeing into it for the furnace.. Any of the runs for down there shouldrun to just off the outside wall and blow down. One cold air return there by the furnace is ok . If you have the doors to the bed room cut off at the bottom to clear the floor or rugs by 1 1/2 or 2". Dont know the lay out of or heat loss of that rec room. But Id cut the cold air return to the furnace in that wall and the heat run out at the outside walls. Dont forget to use a filter grill there . If you dont have a filter in the furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: