White Rodgers thermostat installed, furnace on longer?

Old 04-15-08, 01:36 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
White Rodgers thermostat installed, furnace on longer?

We just had A/C installed, a Carrier unit tied into our Goodman furnace. The thermostat was changed go a heat/cold White Rodgers.

Everything appears to be working fine, but when the thermostat is set to heat mode, the furnace cycle doesn't sound the same. It seems that its taking longer for the furnace to come on, therefore staying on longer whereas it was always coming on frequently but for short periods.

Maybe its just spring time as well, but this morning I think it ran for 10 minutes straight with the igniter on which I don't recall this furnace ever doing.

Old 04-15-08, 04:44 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My question would be what kind of heat/cool t/stat, digital/programmable, or just plain mercury bulb heat/cool.
Secondly, your ignitor only should stay on long enough to ignite the gas. Once that is acheived, the flame sensor senses the burners on and shuts off the ignitor. And when you say ignitor, is it electronic, or hot surface?

Old 04-15-08, 04:58 PM
N
It's digital programmable(the old one was old style mercury I believe) and yes the igniter goes off like it should, I meant the gas ignites and stays burning. It's a hot surface igniter.

Old 04-16-08, 11:24 AM
Your digital thermostat has a "heat anticipator" which governs the length of heating cycles and the number of times an hour the furnace is supposed to cycle on.

Hopefully, you still have your White Rogers owners manual. In the set-up section, there is a menu setting which you can adjust run time based on "more" or "fewer" heating cycles per hour. I also have a W-R digital thermostat, but I don't have the owners manual here at work. Hopefully, you can experiment with changing the run time. Your old thermostat may not have had its heat anticipator set correctly, as generally its not desirable for a furnace to "short cycle", as it puts more stress on the heat exchanger.

Old 04-16-08, 06:36 PM
N
Yup, since it was just installed on the weekend I have the manual. Will play with the options to get it the way we want. Thanks.

Old 04-16-08, 07:31 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Maybe its just spring time as well, but this morning I think it ran for 10 minutes straight with the igniter on which I don't recall this furnace ever doing.[/QUOTE]

10 minutes is not a long time! Maybe your unit has not been running long enought in the past.

Old 04-17-08, 07:30 AM
N
Very well could be airman, whatever the A/C guy did during his install also stopped the vibration of the whole house everytime the furnace came on. Asked the furnace installers about the noise and was told "its the luck of the draw, some rattle, some don't."

So with that being said, and having 2 hot surface igniter's installed incorrectly(how can you forget the mounting bracket??, twice??) I wouldn't doubt that the thermostat/cycles were messed up as well.

Old 04-19-08, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Might also check and see if they blocked off the hole in the wall behind the tstat. That can screw up the way a tstat runs to the temp

Old 04-19-08, 10:18 PM
N
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Might also check and see if they blocked off the hole in the wall behind the tstat. That can screw up the way a tstat runs to the temp
We just had a huge temp drop, spring temps back to winter. Seems to be working fine so I'm going to dismiss my doubts for now....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: