Whole House Fan Replacement / Motor

Old 06-19-08, 12:26 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole House Fan Replacement / Motor

I have an old gable mounted whole house fan with louvers on the gable wall and also on 2nd floor ceiling. When working properly, both sets of louvers open to cool the house. However, recently the fan runs so slow that the louvers fail to open. An electrician determined the motor is running hot and is no longer working properly.

I have not been able to find a replacement motor as the model was discontinued in 1981 by Marathon Electric Co. Even after giving the specs, the company has been unable to assist me. I brought the motor to Grainger, and they could not help me either as the motor is mounted in a custom frame attached to the fan that was built specifically for that particular motor.

At this point, I am ready to purchase a new fan, but have been unable to locate a vertical (or gable wall) mounted whole house fan. Most all are mounted horizontally in the ceiling. The only option I found was a very expensive commercial exhaust fan that draws a lot more amps and would be too powerful.

Does anyone know how I could either replace the motor, and or custom mount bracket to accomodate another motor, or know of a vertical mounted whole house fan? Thanks in advance.

Skennell

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-08, 06:58 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Some pictures of the existing fan might help.

To post pictures you need to first upload the pictures to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com. and then post the public URLs for the pictures (or album) here. More pictures are always better than fewer. Please have CLEAR pictures and have both close up pictures and ones from a far enough distance that we can see how the various parts are interconnected.

Old 06-19-08, 08:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, going away on business for the weekend, so I may try to post some pictures on Monday. Also will try to see if there are any motor shops in my area.