whole house attic fan

Old 06-23-08, 05:03 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
whole house attic fan

I think the motor for my whole house attic fan went bad last night...It just stopped working and when I started to look farther into it today ...when I applied power the motor never turned it just hmmmed.....I,m not sure how old the fan is (at least 20 years old)...Is it worth replacing the motor or should I replace it with a new one?......the motor is 1/3 hp...1725 rpm...

thanks

Old 06-23-08, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check the wear and damage of the blades on the fan. If they are in good shape just change the motor, but if they are damaged and or scraping I recommend changing the entire fan and assembly.

Old 06-23-08, 06:28 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If it is belt drive, check the end play on the shaft and see if there are any grease fittings. The fan should spin free and silent with the belt off. After twenty years it may be replacement time.

Old 06-24-08, 08:29 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Most likely, the centrifugal start switch in the motor is stuck. Apply power to the motor then CAREFULLY give the blade a spin. If the fan starts, it is the switch. You might be able to free the switch, but you'd probably be better to replace the motor. (No reason to replace the whole fan )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: