moving ductwork to finish attic

Old 07-31-08, 11:58 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
moving ductwork to finish attic

I would like to finish my attic but my ductwork is in the way. How large of an undertaking is it to shove the stuff in a corner and build around it?

Old 08-04-08, 09:16 AM
Flexible duct or solid metal ductwork? I guess the difficulty depends partly on your installation - layout, ease of dissassembly, etc. I'd take a look around first just to guage if I could actually disassemble some sections.

Old 08-04-08, 10:02 AM
C
it is flexible................................

Old 08-04-08, 10:45 AM
T
You could carefully try to reroute it and monitor your system performance for a few days. A 90 degree bend in supply can add an additional 45 feet of distance of air flow based on friction. I'd give it good time for experimentation before I started the project.

Old 08-04-08, 12:25 PM
C
I guess I'd like to know if this is an easy, common thing to do and how difficult is it to build over the air ducts (soffits around ducts under floor?) Does the fact that my house is small make it any less likely that rerouting the ductwork would have much of an effect on the system?

Old 08-04-08, 12:36 PM
T
Not a common thing in my area anyway....if the original installer were aware that it needed to be designed for future finishing, he probably would have done things a lot different. As I said, you can try it and see. If I were in your area, I'd come out for a half a Franklin and at least give you advice on the next step....pics might help if you can get them.

Old 08-04-08, 12:39 PM
T
I'm not a do it yourselfer btw, been in the business for 14 years and just off right now due to work injury and too much time on my hands.

Old 08-04-08, 03:54 PM
Not too common here either, I've actually never seen an attic unit in my area.

Anyway, if you got nice weather now, and can finish your renovations with the system off, that would be best. Then the ductwork could be gently moved and then returned to where it was/should be.

You could probably build around/over it, keeping it similar to original installation. I'd contact a competent technician for verification if I needed to completely reroute something.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: