Leaking, corroded underground air ducts

Old 08-13-08, 07:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking, corroded underground air ducts

My two story home is on a concrete slab with my heating and air ducts running below the slab before entering various rooms. Being metal ducts and many years old, they have corroded allowing the heating system air to pickup the moisture from the bare exposed ground. I have to run an dehumidifier in the winter months and can't keep up with the moisture level. I am in need of a solution other than the costly reducting through walls & floors that requires major demolition to accomplish. I did find a company called Duct Seal Technologies that seem to have a good solution but they are not located in my area (Indiana) and I do not want to purchase a franchise for only my home. Anyone have a solution?

Old 08-16-08, 04:39 AM
Might be able to run new flex duct through the old metal. However, new duct may not carry required air flow as old and a few new runs would have to be added above the slab.

Call a contractor and have it checked out.

Old 08-20-08, 06:39 PM
J
Thanks for the reply but unable to run a flex duct duct inside due to splits that occur on all lines. Looking for alternative to contractor's solution of tearing out walls, ceiling, etc. to add new ducts in walls and ceiling. Any other solution out there that can re-seal or reline existing dust runs against water infiltration and handle tee sections?

Old 08-21-08, 04:39 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Other than filling duct up with concrete and replacing duct with overhead duct there is no real solution to your problem that I have heard of.

Old 08-21-08, 07:07 PM
Most experienced air (duct) guy I know of has given his opinion.

Old 09-01-08, 03:53 PM
J
New Approach

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be looking further into Duct Technologies Solution. As mentioned from my initial question, their solution will not cause as much troubles and the franchises cost may not be much more than the cost from the suggestions received so far. Looks like I may be getting into a news business venture with this home repair. Anyone wanting to partner together into this business? Looks like the most cost effective solution for homes in this area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: