sealing leaks

Old 08-14-08, 11:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sealing leaks

I've been sealing up some ductwork with metal tape. It seems when my furnace was replaced they didn't think too much about taping the joints. I also noticed air leaking out around where the a/c lines go into the furnace unit. They were sealed with some sticky black stuff which has appeared to have shrunk. If I take all of this stuff off what should I replace it with? The metal tape?

Old 08-15-08, 01:21 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Perhaps some new sticky black stuff?

You need to allow for the possibility of vibration of both the tubing and the sheet metal and to ensure that neither vibrates against the other to preclude wearing a hole in the tubing. You might be able to do this with the metal tape or it might take something a bit more flexible. They have a cork-like compound in tape form that can be cut and molded to fit. It is a bit sticky so it adheres to itself and to the sheet metal or tubing. You might find this in the plumbing aisle of a good hardware store or possibly a big box mega-mart home improvement center. It is readily available at plumbing suppliers and HVAC supply houses.

Old 08-15-08, 01:40 PM
Didn't think about it that way. I suppose I assumed that the black stuff was a 'contractor only' type of thing. But then, I've never looked for it either. Next time I'm at the store I'll look for it, or maybe find a plumbing supply house.

Old 08-16-08, 04:46 AM
While looking for Cork Tape, look for Duct Mastic.

Use Mastic on the ducting you previously sealed with foil tape. This will creat a true near air tight seal and should have been done at installation.

Old 08-17-08, 09:14 AM
Will do. Thanks.

yada yada, to make my post long enough to submit...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: