Passive return vent out of bedroom into hallway?

Old 08-14-08, 05:50 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Passive return vent out of bedroom into hallway?

I know you are supposed to keep your interior doors open with an AC unit to provide for better circulation in the bedrooms, the problem is I live with 3 other guys and having the door closed at night provides the most peace and quiet. I notice, however, that the room is much cooler with the door open.

If I were to install a vent in the door or a wall that would passively let air back into the hallway (bypassing the closed door) and return to the AC inlet, would that be equivalent of sleeping with the door open, or would I just be cutting a pointless hole in something for nothing?

Details: The vent into the room is about 4 feet away from the door, and if I were to install a vent, I would just cut a hole (2'x1') in the door or wall and put two vent screens on either side. House was constructed around 1960.

Seems like it would work but that is only primitive speculation on my part. Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-14-08, 06:41 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I've seen some homes with vents installed over the door to the next room for just the reason you post.

Old 08-14-08, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I tried the same thing. It did not help at all. It made shutting the door a bit easier, but other than that, The room was still hot. Now I still have a hot room, with a hole in the door. lol

Old 08-14-08, 07:20 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
You really need a duct (properly positioned in the room) back to the return-air plenum on the air handler / furnace. Anything less will be of minimal use and probably allow enough noise through to negate the reason for closing the door.

Sorry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: