2 ton heat pump in 1312 sq foot home

Old 08-18-08, 06:38 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
2 ton heat pump in 1312 sq foot home

I recently bought an old house. In the basement is an air handler and outside is a Goodman 2 Ton heat pump.

I bought the house without ductwork upstairs.

I had a contractor come in and run the ductwork upstairs for cheap. He did so by grabbing a few ducts from downstairs that weren't being used.

He also insulated the attic crawl space with R30.

The problem (from what I can see of it) is that I have is that the pressure coming out of the ducts upstairs is not high enough to overwhelm the outside heat. It will still hit as high as 86 degrees upstairs when the outside temperature is between 98-108 degrees.

I still have to use window units upstairs to get the desired cooling.

The upstairs rooms are tiny. Probably about 100 sq feet each.

There are 3 of them. The hallway upstairs is tiny to. Probably another 120 square feet.

Each window unit is only 5000 BTU so I am not really two worried about taking them down.

BUT....

I am also concerned about the winter because hot air did not rise very well in the winter and I was forced to use portable space heaters upstairs in each room.

During the winter, if I set the thermostat to 68 downstairs, it would be as cold as 48 degrees upstairs with an outside temperature of about 20 degrees.

This was with no insulation in the attic though.

I am hoping that the insulation cures these ills and that the minimal amount that comes out of the ducts at this point is enough to keep upstairs warm during the winter. (I guess I will have to wait and see what happens, but I won't be suprised if hot air still doesn't come up like it's supposed to because I am not the luckiest.

Ceiling fans are not an option anywhere upstairs because of a very low ceiling.

This house is actually a "1.5" story "bungalow style" home. I have less than 2 feet of actual attic space before I am touching the roof shingles. In some parts upstairs, there is only 6 inches of space between the roof and the ceiling (I put some radiant barrier there which helped).

Any thoughts on what to do? I was thinking of having a mini-split run, but don't have 8k to burn.

Old 08-18-08, 01:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you would like to have it done wright have a heat load done on the home, Remove duct work and replace duct using a manual D. Your duct guy did the work cheap for a reason.

Old 08-18-08, 03:23 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks what is a manual D?

Old 08-18-08, 06:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jj94auto
Thanks what is a manual D?
Manual D is for sizing duct and Manual J is for sizing the unit. Both are 100% necessary if you would like a comfortable home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: