Need to build new outlet plenum.

Old 09-05-08, 05:33 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to build new outlet plenum.

What are my options on fabricating a plenum?

My current plenum is built using insulated panels. My primary drain clogged when I was on vacation and caused the plenum to get wet which in turn caused mold growth.

I was told that I could make a sheet metal plenum instead of using the same insulated material. I suppose I would need to insulate the sheet metal plenum on the outside though.

Also where would I get ducting and the insulated panels if were to just go that route. It seems the Home Depots don't sell this material.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-05-08, 04:32 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 16,321
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
In my opinion the sheet metal would be better than the ductboard. No, you won't find the sheet metal or the proper insulation at the mega big box home center. You will most likely need to find a heating supply company that will sell to the general public or a sheet metal shop that specializes in ductwork. The sheet metal shop is probably your best bet as you will need the metal bent and seamed or welded, something that is beyond the capabilities of most DIYers.

Get all your measurements and make some sketches of what you need before going to the shop. Be prepared for sticker shock as it will likely cost you well over $100, possibly several hundred dollars. It is possible the shop will come to your house and build the new plenum on the spot. Most heating and cooling retailers (furnace and A/C installing companies) have this capability also.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: