General oil furnace question

Old 09-05-08, 11:42 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
General oil furnace question

I am planning on supplementing two of my three heat zones with electricity this year because of the significant oil price increases. I am wondering if using just the one zone which heats my bedroom will cause the heater to run (keeping up the temperature) frequently. Or does it only run to bring up the temperature when needed. I do not heat my hot water with the furnace. From what I recall about the heater, it may have a dial which is used to adjust the temperature swing range (the high and low). Thanks for any info in advance

Old 09-05-08, 04:17 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
You state you have three zones on your "furnace" and that it does not heat your domestic hot water. This leads me to think that you have a "boiler" and not a furnace. Common terminology uses the word furnace for a device that heats air which is then ducted to various rooms to heat the home. A boiler however heats water and the water is piped to heaters in the various rooms to heat the house and sometimes to also heat domestic hot water.

Most likely the boiler in your home is oversized for the job it has, heating your home. Depending on the age of the boiler and the age of the house it may be several times larger than necessary. This oversized boiler is going to be less fuel efficient than a properly sized boiler.

If you shut down two out of the three zones you are going to exasperate the problem. Most likely you will find the boiler burner lighting, running just a few minutes, shutting down and then a few minutes later starting the cycle again. This is extremely fuel inefficient and is also quite hard on the machinery. The smaller the zone you leave in operation the more pronounced this problem will be.

Now, that stated there may be better ways to accomplish some savings in your heating bill. Tell us more about your house and what city you live in (or near), your lifestyle and the equipment (including manufacturer and model numbers, if possible) used in your heating system.

Old 09-06-08, 07:05 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Beckett AFII Oil Burner with LM SeriesOil Fired Packaged Boiler Burner Unit

Oil hot water baseboard heat...
The unit is LM 75/100/110 series. I have a well insulated house around 1500 square feet ranch. Two additions, both with electric heat. I live in Pennsylvania about 12 miles north of Allentown Pa. The three zones are (1)living room and kitchen and 1 bath, (2) Two bedrooms and bath/ (3)...the one I want to use the master bedroom. The heat system does have a hot water heating unit, but I only use that as a holding tank. I have 2 (330) gallon tanks. If I use my electricity to heat my hot water in a super insulated water heater, I can go the full heating season without ordering oil in mid winter and purchase oil at reasonable rate in the summer (until lately). As oil has skyrocketed, I am hoping to be able to use both electricity and oil until the burner needs replacement. As the burner is 8 years old, this may be quite some time. I previously had electric heat, so it has not been too much trouble adding a few heaters. However, in some of the rooms (since the baseboard oil is already there), it is more difficult. This is the reason wanting to use just the one zone. I thought the heater would probably run significantly, but if there is no other solution, I may likely just add electricity to the rooms on the zone I was planning to heat using the burner. Another option I had was to use the electricity most of the day, then use the furnace to heat the entire house for another portion of the day. Any suggestions you have would be helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: