Connecting rigid ducting to bathroom exhaust fan

Old 09-06-08, 04:29 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting rigid ducting to bathroom exhaust fan

Wasn't sure if this is the right place to ask this. I'm installing an exhaust fan and using rigid 4" ducting. The ducting has a tapered end, which I assumed goes into the ducting pre-attached to the outside vent, but I don't know how to secure the non-tapered end to the fan itself, as both the ducting and the connection on the fan are 4" exactly, I can't fit one inside the other. How is this supposed to be done, is there a coupler of some kind that I need?

Old 09-11-08, 09:46 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
You may be able to find some coupler to do that, but the cheap way is cut one of the end open (cut straight in a inch around the edge every half inch distance) so you can fit the other end in their losely, and than use duct tape to tape it tight.

Old 09-11-08, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Metal duct tape, not the regular cloth stuff. Actually, since it's rigid, you could probably butt them together and put 2 wraps of tape around them and never worry about it.

Remember with ducting, just like shingles, you want a smooth flow, so each pipe should go over the one before it in the line of flow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: