Water Dripping from AC Vents

Old 09-07-08, 02:05 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Dripping from AC Vents

Hi - I just bought my first house and am clueless so please respond to me like a five year old. Yesterday, we had a huge storm (hurricane leftovers) here in Virginia with very high winds and rain. In my basement, the only room in the house with AC vents on the ceiling (they are on the floor in the rest of the house), water started dripping out, first through one vent and then the other. The water stopped when the rain slowed and the wind calmed. Today, a sunny day, there is no water dripping. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to prevent this from happening when another storm blows through...or is this just something that happens during a storm of this nature? Again, I am clueless, so any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-07-08, 02:34 PM
It dosen't sound normal to me. LOL Condensation Maybe?

Old 09-07-08, 03:46 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Keep RH under 55% to prevent this!

Old 09-08-08, 06:07 AM
F
Thanks for the replies...what is RH? Remember, I am clueless! Thanks.

Old 09-08-08, 07:41 AM
Relative Humidity. You can pick up a cheap humidity meter at radio shack

Old 09-08-08, 08:42 AM
F
So, it is related to the air conditioning itself, rather than the storm, in your opinion?

Old 09-08-08, 09:07 AM
No! I think the RH was so high in your basement that the cold air from the duct was causing it to sweat.

Old 09-08-08, 10:19 AM
M
Air Conditioning help

I am guessing that you have one system doing your main floor and your basement the controller for your unit is probably on the main floor as it should so the heat load and humidity for these 2 areas is totally different the controller continues to call for cooling upstairs due to the heat load while downstairs you are dropping the temperature of the air down past the dew point this is called rain the way to combat this and save energy at the same time is to adjust the air flow down on the downstairs supply grilles (better to close dampers if you have them) you probably notice it is quite cool down there in the summer anyway then you can reverse the process in the winter the best thing to do is to have either 2 systems or a zone control that shuts off the basement when cooling is not needed but to spare that expense airflow adjustment will work

Old 09-08-08, 11:47 AM
F
I see! Thank you for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: