Minimizing furnace run time

Old 09-12-08, 07:07 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a Beckett AFII Oil Burner with LM SeriesOil Fired Packaged Boiler Burner Unit Oil baseboard heat system which is about 8 or 9 years old. When the oil price went high I decided to supplement this with electricity before the prices go up in 2010 (Pennsylvania North of Allentown). I have three zones with the system. I had originally thought I could use electricity in two of the three zones and leave the oil burner run to heat the third. The house is a 1500 Square foot ranch and well insulated. I have been advised that running the third zone would most likely make the heater run more frequently and then waste oil. Any suggests to a solution. Is lowering the bottom end temperature on the aquastat a possible solution? The second thought is to run the oil system fully during a peak time such as around 5-10pm at night, then lower the temperature until the next day at 5-10 using electricity inbetween the runs (I have programmable thermostats). Again,any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-12-08, 07:19 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Long run times are preferred because it will be more efficient and comfortable in the home. You could also put in a set back thermostat to lower the temp at night and during unoccupied times.

Old 09-12-08, 08:55 AM
F

By turning down the thermostat on the oil heat system 19 hours a day and running only 5 hours a day I am assuming I will get a long run time for the 5 hours where the system calls for heat 72 degrees and maintains a stable temperature. During the 19 hours, should/will the furnace run a minimal amount of time? Or will I be wasting oil during this 19 hour period (maintaining temperature only). I currently use electricity to heat my hot water and not the boiler mate (hot water tank which has the temperature set at around 60 degrees). My reasoning for using electricity to heat the hot water is that with two (330) gallon tanks I can make it through the winter by ordering oil in the summer thus usually getting it at a lower price.

Old 09-12-08, 11:01 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Unit will run to keep temp at set back temp. So if set back temp is set at 65 unit will run just to keep home at 65.

Old 09-13-08, 05:39 AM
F
Airman

Based on what I am understanding, you are talking about the set back temperature on my programmable thermostats. As I will turn them back and they will not call for heat all day, I would expect the system not to run or run minimally because the system (being newer has circuitry which determines if it should maintain the heat of not <--- I read this somewhere and am assuming this is true). I would it expect to run frequently after 5pm until I turn the temperature back down around 10pm or so. If you are talking about set back setting on the furnace (oil) burner, the only setting I am aware of is the aquastat for the hot water (already turned down) and the aquastat that is connected to the system. High/low limit. I am thinking I do not have to touch the heater, only my thermostats. If I am wrong, please let me know. I am not sure of where the set back setting is if it is on the heat system, but can find out if this is what you are describing. I have the instructions for setting the high/low limit with the heater too. And again, I appreciate your input.

Old 09-13-08, 07:03 AM
If you are using only one third of the boilers intended use, I would recommend looking up the specs on that boiler/burner combo and find out what the lowest firing rate allowed is. Then replace the burner nozzle accordingly.

Another item you may wish to install (real easy) is a Beckett Heat Manager or intelle???. this will utilize left over boiler temp before allowing the burner to fire. Guaranteed to save a minimum of 10% yearly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: