Expansion tank - new question

Old 09-15-08, 05:20 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Expansion tank - new question

I read here that abrupt thermal shock is the most common cause of premature bladder failure, thus the need to plumb the tank a distance from the boiler.

I am installing a bladder tank to replace the old, original simple tank, and have some fin tube available. Would it make sense to add a 1'-2' run of the fin tube to help reduce the water temperature before it reaches the bladder? My basement certainly would not be hurt by a little more warmth in the dead of winter.

Old 09-15-08, 07:13 PM
You know, I always thought the main cause of premature bladder failure was caused by... OLD AGE

Anyways...

I have never heard that, though it could make sense. And now that the manufacturers are making adapters so the cold water can be easily hooked up at the expansion tank connection, you could have cold water right at the tank. So I suppose there could be some thermal shock there.

The old way and in my opinion, the safest way was to hook the feed (cold water), to the return so you could not accidentally cause thermal shock to the boiler, especially in steam boiler.By piping it this way the water should already be hot/warm by the time it gets to the expansion tank, removing the chance of thermal shock.

The fin tube would do absolutely nothing in this case except heat your basement.

Old 09-16-08, 05:10 AM
M
Thanks - I will plumb it as you guys suggest and skip the fin tube idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: