Replacing Return Air Registers/Grilles

Old 09-18-08, 01:46 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Return Air Registers/Grilles

Hi:

Long story short, I've been stripping years of paint off of my two return air fixtures in both kitchen and bath, and to get the old paint off the slats thought I'd remove the grilles.

I managed to pry off the bathroom one and pulled the grille face and attached duct out. The duct and grille are pretty gnarly and I'm wondering if I can replace this mechanism with just a grille instead of the same piece with the curved up duct attached?

The air flow is so much better with just the screen I've taped over the hole. There is a damper, but I keep it open and it's not very powerful at sucking out the bad air. This is a multi story apartment building - I'm on a low floor, if that matters.

I guess my question is - Is this an important piece of the ductwork that I've removed and should I just put it back in after cleaning it? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-18-08, 06:16 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Having a return in a kicthen and a bath is a big no no! Are you sure this is a return and not an exhaust?

Old 09-18-08, 09:07 PM
M
Exhaust questions

I'm sure it is an exhaust and if they had opposed blade dampers in there it is because they wanted to provide the same amount of volume coming out of all the apartments so by you removing yours you will decrease the amount of air exhausting from the other apartments.

Old 09-19-08, 05:48 AM
M
Sorry, this is an exhaust.

Old 09-19-08, 05:51 AM
M
Thanks, this makes sense. I won't hog the air anymore!

Old 09-19-08, 11:34 AM
M
Dilution is the solution to pollution

That is ok you would have had fun watching the maintenance guys try to figure out why it was smelly upstairs

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: