Leaving the furnace fan on

Old 09-25-08, 01:57 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaving the furnace fan on

I've got an old victorian house with 10' ceilings. When the furnace comes on, it feels nice and toasty. When it shuts down, it gets noticeably colder.

I've installed ceiling fans, which I'll run this winter on low speed to push the heat down. Im wondering if it will help to leave the furnace fan on at all times, to keep circulation going. I know this will be bad for the fan, but I'm not sure HOW bad.

Any other advice?

Old 09-25-08, 07:01 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heating Help

If you are feeling cold when the furnace is off and no air movement I am afraid that if the fan is on with the furnace satisfied you may feel worse as the fan will be moving air that is 70-74 degrees which is significantly lower than your skin temperature. We usually only recommend constant fan in cooling and usually only in commercial applications. I would look at closing up some of the drafts in your old victorian you will save alot of money and be more comfortable. Start with your windows and doors and go from there.

Old 09-25-08, 07:07 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Having the fan on in winter is best. Will help with the warm and cold spots. Will filter the air at all times. It will be better on the fan to run all the time than to start and stop all day. Running the fan 24/7 in cooling mode will raise the RH up 5 to 10 %

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: