Honeywell F50A1017 problem/advice needed! Electrostatic Air Cleaner

Old 09-27-08, 06:28 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell F50A1017 problem/advice needed! Electrostatic Air Cleaner

I have a Honeywell F50A1017 unit. It used to "arc" occassionally, and it was usually cells touching each other. Well, it is constantly arcing now. I bought replacement units cells and put them in, figuring they were bad. The unit still arcs constantly@! Nothing is touching, so I suspect it may have went bad?

Does anyone have any ideas?

If I need to replace it, can I get another unit, or, are these obsolete?

If its obsolete, does anyone know a replacement unit that I can put in the same sspace? I can go up, but its the width i am concerned about?

Finally, does anyone know a media filter I could get to put in there instead?

I really like the unit and it has been a workhorse, but I have no ideas on where to go from here.

ANY advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance all!

Last edited by hoosker; 09-27-08 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Title is vague
Old 09-28-08, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by hoosker View Post
Well, it is constantly arcing now. I bought replacement units cells and put them in, figuring they were bad. The unit still arcs constantly! Nothing is touching, so I suspect it may have went bad?
Make sure the ionizer wire is not broken or touching something. Something causing this.

If I need to replace it, can I get another unit, or, are these obsolete?
Not many people are good of staying on top of these things cleaning the cells every month, so they end up being taken out and replaced with a media filter.

Finally, does anyone know a media filter I could get to put in there instead?
Pull out the cells, and measure them up. You can get a Honeywell Media filter from Home Depot. Find the size you got and take out the guts, and remove power to the unit, and slide the media filter in place.

Old 10-05-08, 09:22 PM
C
I hate to tell you this but you could have purchased a new air cleaner for nearly what you paid for the replacement cells.

That being said, your problem is obviously not with the cells but with the contacts inside the air cleaner. Each cell has a contact plate that makes contact with another plate on the air cleaner. You most likely have a short in one of the contact plates on the air cleaner. Parts are still available for the F50A models so you shouldn't have any problem making the repair.

Here is how to find the short. There is an interlock switch that activates when you remove the front panel of the air cleaner to remove the cells. The interlock button shuts the air cleaner down when the door is removed. In order to find the short, remove the door, and push the interlock switch in. This will power up the unit and you will be able to look inside and see exactly where the arcing is taking place. Once you have located the short you can make the repair. Call 1-800-523-1885 for parts. Just give them the model number.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: