purpose of inside register linings

Old 09-28-08, 06:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
purpose of inside register linings

I just had all of the asbestos ductwork removed from my house and new metal ductwork put in. The contractor who installed the new ducts did not put boots on most of the ducts nor did he reinstall the linings inside of the wall registers. These registers did have an asbestos lining before, and I guess my question is is if they were lined before, why is it that they don't need to be lined now? Now there is only a 3-sided wood box inside each wall opening. Is this okay? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 09-28-08, 06:59 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Because you said wood I am guessing this is return duct! If it is supply you will have problems if you have AC. Anyway nether return or supply would have to be insulated if they are run in a conditioned space. If they have to have insulation it would be better on the outside of the duct.

Old 09-28-08, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wood inside wall

The wood box I am talking about only stops you from seeing inside of the wall where the registers are cut into the wall. My question is what problems may occur if that which was covered in asbestos before is no longer covered by anything? I do not mean the ducts, but the inside of the registers where the duct ends and the cavity for the register is. It seems like if they originally had it covered with fire retardant asbestos, that there a fire safety issue now that the wood is exposed. And what about heat loss? I can see down into the basement on each side of the round duct that was installed. And not just a little bit, a lot.

Old 09-28-08, 12:41 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ok I'll try again! Nether return or supply have to be insulated if they are in a conditioned space. Again if this is supply there should only be duct (NO WOOD OR ANYTHING ELSE SHOULD BE IN THE AIR FLOW). There should be no fire issue. I think I said the same thing I said last time. Maybe somebody will chime in soon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: