Flow Through vs Steam Furnace Mounted Humidifier

Old 09-28-08, 07:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flow Through vs Steam Furnace Mounted Humidifier

Last year was the first in the 1700 square foot 21 year old bungalow we purchased, well, last year.

We have a flow through humidifier yet the house air was unusually dry all winter, barely reaching over 30%. Yes, we replaced the wire mesh. Yes, the water was flowing just fine. Yes, the damper was fully open. Yes, we even had a dude from the local HVAC company come over and check it out.

Now, our bungalow's variable natural gas bill for the past 12 months was only $800. Pretty good we think. However, when I mentioned this to the local HVAC dude he said that our problem might be that the furnace is not on enough, because of the air tightness of our home, to fully use the flow through humidifier.

He suggested we invest in one of those new-ish steam type of humidifiers which goes on separate from when the furnace goes on.

I'd appreciate any experience that folks might have with a steam type of humidifier, which brand it was, etc.

Many thanks in advance,
Dan

Old 09-28-08, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Educator001
. Yes, we replaced the wire mesh.
When you put the pad into the unit, is the paint strips (if it has it) on the top side vs the bottom side?

the local HVAC dude he said that our problem might be that the furnace is not on enough, because of the air tightness of our home, to fully use the flow through humidifier.
It could be that the furnace is not running enough.. On an avg run time, how long does it run?

How big is the furnace? (if you don't know, make and model#)

Where are you out of?

Also, does your home have a Heat Recovery unit (HRV/Air Exchanger)?

If not, is there any fresh air from the outdoors tied into the return?

Old 09-29-08, 01:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Jay11J
When you put the pad into the unit, is the paint strips (if it has it) on the top side vs the bottom side?

It could be that the furnace is not running enough.. On an avg run time, how long does it run?

How big is the furnace? (if you don't know, make and model#)

Where are you out of?

Also, does your home have a Heat Recovery unit (HRV/Air Exchanger)?

If not, is there any fresh air from the outdoors tied into the return?

Hi Jay,
Thanks for this. We do not have an HRV. We are out of the greater Toronto area. The furnace is a 5 year old Carrier Weather Maker 9300TS. I cannot tell you how long the furnace goes on for as I've never timed it and it hasn't been on yet this fall.

Per our natural gas bills over the past 12 months we have consumed a total of 1,000 cubic meters of natural gas wich includes the furnace and the hot water tank and the natural gas BBQ.

I don't recall if the flow through humidifier wire mess pad has paint stripes on it. The HCAV dude who was over last week for the annual furnace maintenance said it was OK.

Thanks for your thoughts and guidance.

Dan

Old 09-29-08, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Educator001
5 year old Carrier Weather Maker 9300TS.
Dan,

The model you gave me is a generic name, all I know by this it's a two stage furnace... No BTU rating in that number, I'll need the full model#.

Being this is a two stage, do you have a two stage t-stat or is the t-stat a basic single stage?

If this is a single stage stat, i'd suggest going into a two stage one to give you a longer run time.

Old 09-29-08, 08:00 PM
M
Your furnace is definitely not running enough for your humidifier to be effective that is why we don't install bypass humidifiers. Customers feel like they don't get any benefit they only work well when it is very cold outside. Steam units work anytime and while they are more expensive, from a customer satisfaction point of view we just feel they work better for us.
Your furnace is probably oversized so you might want to have it checked to make sure it is getting the proper airflow and make sure that it is not a multi stage, but concerning the humidifiers we really feel the new steam units are the way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: