Basement Return Air

Old 09-30-08, 05:15 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Return Air

I am curently finishing my basement. I now have the walls framed and I am ready for duct work. There will be a large rec room of 12x35' where I have been told to install 3 supply ducts in the ceiling on my outside walls. On the oposite side to my supply I need to put the return air. There is a small wall in the middle of the rec room where I have two 2x4 wall cavities 16" on center.

Q1 - Would I want/is it OK to put two returns next to each other?

Q2 - If I run the duct from the main return line up in my floor joist how do I then have access to the wall cavity. Do I cut out part of the top wall plate and then cover the cavity with sheet metal? If so and I put two return next to each other I would have to remove the wall plate on both sides of the stud.

Q3 - Can an existing return air duct seve more than one return? Can it be spliced?

Thanks so much for anyones help in this.

Old 09-30-08, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by dlesh714
Q1 - Would I want/is it OK to put two returns next to each other?
Yes, you can.. Use the larger sized return grill rather than two small ones.

Q2 - If I run the duct from the main return line up in my floor joist how do I then have access to the wall cavity. Do I cut out part of the top wall plate and then cover the cavity with sheet metal? If so and I put two return next to each other I would have to remove the wall plate on both sides of the stud.
Correct. Make sure you cap off the end.

Q3 - Can an existing return air duct serve more than one return? Can it be spliced?
Are you talking about the main duct or in the wall? If the main, where is that serving, and the duct size?

Old 09-30-08, 07:07 PM
D
It would be the main duct that is 3 feet from the furnace and is a wall joist cavity that is covered in ductboard/thermopan. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-30-08, 07:37 PM
Ok, then you are good to go with everything..

When you do put the returns in, i'd suggest near the floor to draw the cold air off the floor in the winter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: