Hot air coming from bathroom fan

Old 10-09-08, 01:00 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hot air coming from bathroom fan

Hello everyone,

I have two bathrooms in my 1965 Florida home that have windows and fans. I was in one of the bathrooms today and noticed quite a bit of hot air coming down from one of the bathroom fans when the fan was off.

Does code require a bathroom fan AND a window? These bathroom fans do NOT vent to the outside - they vent into my attic. I'm not too crazy about this fact, but these fans are very hard to get to in the attic - plus I have a concrete barrel tile roof and I'm not too thrilled about cutting into that. I'm thinking of closing off the fans entirely. Can I do this without violating any (additional) building codes?

Thanks,

- Joe

Old 10-09-08, 03:48 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think that a fan is required when you have a window, but you can check with your local building department. Fans are put in more as a convienance for removing humidity than odors. If yours is not vented outside then your humidity just goes into the attic space. The heat your feeling is more than likely caused by the damper being stuck open or fallen out. If you have never cleaned your fan then it is proably stuck open.

B

Old 10-09-08, 06:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exhaust questions

Bathroom exhaust fans are required but the code **** is not going to bust in your house if you take a fan out although I don't know why you would want to. Besides the obvious reasons to ventilate a bathroom the cosmetics, deodorants and cleaners we use in there need to be exhausted to prevent breathing in these contaminants.
I would buy a new fan as your backdraft damper is obviously not working and get in your attic and run the ehaust out to the outside wall or at least to a soffit vent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: