Vent Electric Dryer into basement?

Old 10-12-08, 03:19 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vent Electric Dryer into basement?

I can't be the only one who hates to dump the heated air from an electric dryer to the outside during winter (southern new england). I've seen devices that let you vent the dryer into the interior space and thus make use of this heat. Specifically, my dryer vents through the first floor into the basement and a 10 foot run carries it to the side of the house where it is vented. I was thinking to install a T in this vent line and run it to a lint trap box that would allow the heat to escape into a large (26 x 26) semi-finished basement room. By semi-finished, I mean floors and walls are insulated but no ceiling is installed. As such, warming this room would warm the floor of the first floor. Provided most of the lint is filtered out, would the humid air be a problem? The house is really dry in winter (hot water baseboard heat).

Old 10-12-08, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I've done it in a garage, didn't use the water style lint trap. Lint was everywhere, every horizontal surface. My tools also rusted due to the increased humidity.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a heat exchanger of some sort for that warm air...hmmmmmm

Old 10-12-08, 05:10 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Bad idea. Lint will be everyware like said. All so the RH could be a bigger problem.

Old 10-12-08, 07:26 PM
T
when i was a kid ,my mom use to put her old pantyhose over the dryer vent to warm the basement ,in the winter and now that i think about it it was aimed at the return in the duct hmmmm three floors, large area ....I dont remember any moisture problems..but I was just young though

Old 10-13-08, 03:22 PM
If you want bad IAQ (Indoor Air Quality) go ahead and do it.

Your clothes are loaded with chemical from your scented
laundry detergent, and fabric softener. Also the exhaust air is loaded with lint and high humidity.

I grew up that way when my parents used to vent the dryer in the home, and the house was always dusty, we had mold on the ceiling where it was a "cool" spot. It became an expensive fix, and after that repair, the dryer went right outside.

If I were you, leave it alone and let it go outside.

Old 10-14-08, 06:40 AM
M
I guess some sort of heat exchanger would be the only way.... Oh well....

Old 10-14-08, 07:03 AM
If you want to save on energy, look into the LG washer/dryer combo. It don't need to go outside, and the air is being recycled inside the unit itself.

Old 10-17-08, 08:29 AM
D
Old pantyhose on the vent, catching all the lint, sounds like a fire hazard to me...

Old 10-17-08, 08:47 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dclark8822 View Post
Old pantyhose on the vent, catching all the lint, sounds like a fire hazard to me...
And it will only catch MAYBE 60% of the lint. Dryer fires are like the 3rd leading cause of home fires

Old 10-21-08, 08:03 PM
L
In my first home the dryer was vented under the house.......3 years later termites destroyed my utility room due to excessive moisture. I wouldn't allow that moisture into my house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: