Fire Box

Old 10-18-08, 09:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fire Box

Hello. I have a slant/fin 78 series oil furnace. I would like to replace the firebox. The new box consists of three pieces. The outer cover to the furnace looks like it's held on by 7 bolts. My question is do these three pieces just set inside or do they have to be cemented in place I haven't taken anything apart yet. Any help would be great.

Old 10-18-08, 07:52 PM
M
firebox

I have never heard of anyone rebuilding the firebox on a residential unit before but I would guess the same procedures hold true. You will want to use refractory cement to attach the pieces to the wall and to join the pieces together. Make sure you do not leave any openings where heat can get out.

Old 10-19-08, 07:24 AM
R
There are three pieces. one goes in the back and it appears that two go together in the front. The pieces are very light weight. They seem to be made out of fire retardent material kind of like a heat sheild. Does this make sence?

Old 10-19-08, 06:10 PM
M
firebox

Yes that makes sense I just have never personally seen them used in a residential boiler or burner only in fireplace restoration. In a commercial boiler you use fire brick.

Old 10-19-08, 09:06 PM
R
Now you have me wondering. The furnace is an old oil slantfin. The invoice says that the one for the back is called a slantfin rear target wall and the ones for the front are called front combustion chamber and insulation bnr mtg pl 78 series. This is what they gave me. Should i use firebrick instead?

Old 10-19-08, 09:25 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Should i use firebrick instead?
No. The purpose of the liner is to heat up quickly to have the burner operate at maximum efficiency. Firebrick would take too long to heat up, the lightweight refractory is the proper material as it will heat up in less than a minute.

Old 10-20-08, 08:58 AM
R
Mabye i've said it wrong all along. My original post was for a firebox. I probably meant liner. Thanks for clearing that up furd. Now my next question. I have three pieces. one goes in the back and two go together up front. Aren't there any pieces for the sides and the two pieces that go together up front in what order do they go on top of each other? Of the two pieces that go on top of each other up front one is harder and the other one is made of the same material as the one that goes in the back. Sorry if i'm seeming like an idot. I just want to get it right.

Old 10-20-08, 01:50 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You're not an idiot. If you have never worked with refractory materials, furnaces or boilers how could you possibly know even the correct terminology let alone the correct questions to ask?

Since you mention it is a Slant Fin product I am going to make the assumption that this is a boiler supplying hot water to heat your home. I am unaware of Slant Fin having ever made warm air furnaces.

For the sides, it is not necessary because the sides are water-containing parts. The back does not contain water so it is necessary to shield the back from the direct flame. For the two pieces in the front take a cue from the different materials and use the material closer in composition to the rear wall facing the fire.

Old 10-20-08, 05:42 PM
R
Hey guys. Thanks for all the help. I took the boiler apart and it was pretty self explanatory. I cleaned the thing thoroughly while i had it apart. I also changed the nozzle and filter as well as cleaned the baffles. Thanks again for all the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: