Closet furnace venting

Old 11-18-08, 10:04 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Closet furnace venting

Hi,

I recently purchased a home that is 2 story, without a basement. Therefore there is a mechanical closet on the 1st floor that houses the furnace and hot water tank (closet about 8'x10' in size). The furnace is a 5 or 6 year old 80% efficiency or thereabouts.

My question - there is a louver in the wall that leads to an unheated 2 car garage. I was told by the inspector that this is for the furnace intake. The louver is not adjustable - it is open all the time. Now that it is winter, I will get cold drafts through the louver. I am concerned this will hurt the efficiency of the water heater and also let cool air into the house (under the closet door and frame -etc)

Would it be possible to install a motorized louver that only opens when the furnace is on?

My other option would be to remove the wall louver and instead install a louver in the closet door - however this would draw conditioned air from the house....is that a problem?

The room outside the closet is really big, 20+ foot high slanted ceiling, probably a 600 or 700 squ foot room.

sorry so long....any advice appreciated!

Old 11-18-08, 05:37 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes you could install a motorized damper. The answers to all of your questions should come from your local inspector as codes are very different in different areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: