geo thermal well locations (HVAC)

Old 11-24-08, 11:33 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm concerned about my proposed wells locations. Meeting contractor tomorrow. He has spec'ed two 200 ft. vertical wells alongside the house, 20 ft. apart, about 7 feet from the foundation each. I'm on a small plot (slightly under 1/4 acre) and there is room in the backyard but it slopes (about 1" per foot).
Should I be worried about how close it is to the foundation? THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-08, 04:55 PM
Not knowing what part of the word you live. There should not be a problem with the 7' mark.
We have drilled within 5 or 6 feet from a foundation, with no problems.The ground here is a black land and clay base.
Since there are going to be just two wells. Any more than that, and yes, I would say they should be further from the house. At about three holes, the ground will start to fracture. If the wells are closer than twenty feet or less together. Then that is when you can get into problems.
I am going to assume you live in a area with a sand and clay base.
If you live in mostly rock. I would move the wells out to about ten feet or more.

Travis

Old 11-25-08, 04:27 AM
K

Huge relief. Thanks. We're in N. Virginia. Area is mostly red shale / clay, not rock. In the hours since I posted this the drill team dropped off the rig. They didnt see any issues either. The other thing was that one of the wells is planned within 4 ft. of a 1 ft. diameter tree. Not sure if the well will interfere with the tree or vice versa. Let me know if you have a thought on that.

Old 11-25-08, 03:09 PM
Now the tree thing is a bit harder to answer. It should not bother the tree, or visea, versa. I cant see any problem, but anything can happen.
The tree could die 2 days after they leave. But, that doesnt mean the well have anything to do with it.

I will put it this way. We have drilled right next to trees, and nothing has happened to the well or the tree.

Not knowing how your drillers work habits. A definite maybe is the best answer I can give. But that's only a guess.

Old 11-25-08, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by knothandy View Post
two 200 ft. vertical wells alongside the house, 20 ft. apart
That should do a 2 ton system fine in VA. Hope your not trying to run anything larger.

Old 11-26-08, 04:22 AM
K

Confirmed today that the 2 well depths will be 250 ft. each (not 200), 21 ft. apart. It's a 3 ton water furnace envision external split.

Old 11-26-08, 05:05 AM
That's close. 180 feet per ton here.