heating unit

Old 12-07-08, 10:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
heating unit

I have just started noticing condensation on the heating ducts of our Amana air command hi efficiency 80 gas furnace. It is locate in our basement.We also just found that it is doing it where the duct,which was rusted, runs through the attic to the outside.What is the problem?Is there anything we can do to help this problem that wont cost us a small fortune?

Old 12-07-08, 12:13 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
ODD What is the RH in your home?

Old 12-07-08, 12:45 PM
J
What is Rh

I dont what that is?This didnt start til we got our roof fixed.Could they have done something to it?

Old 12-07-08, 03:04 PM
RH is relative humidity! No roof should have nothing to do with the basement. Saying that don't think the RH could cause this unless it is very high. Are your windows sweating?

Old 12-07-08, 07:55 PM
J
The duct that runs through our attic to the outside we found was also sweating.We never had this problem until we had the roof fixed,they had to come fix the shingle around all our roof vents.The only window that I have noticed sweating is my bathroom window.The duct that runs to the roof is just above that room.By the way I live in MO .

Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
RH is relative humidity! No roof should have nothing to do with the basement. Saying that don't think the RH could cause this unless it is very high. Are your windows sweating?

Old 12-07-08, 08:18 PM
Can you buy a cheap gauge and tell us what the RH is in the basement and main level.

Old 12-07-08, 08:30 PM
J
What kind of gauge?How would i use it?We had thought our roof was leaking,because out ceiling was dripping.The roofers came out and found the shingle around the roof vent was not done properly,they fixed it.The ceiling fell in,the guy came out to fix it and found that duct that ran through the attic was dripping and rusted.They didnt get the right piece so it didnt fit,it is not on there as of yet.I dont want to fix the ceiling until we get this fixed.We have a humidifier hooked to our heater in the basement,I am not sure it works or even how to work it.Sorry so much info am just real upset about this.

Can you buy a cheap gauge and tell us what the RH is in the basement and main level.

Old 12-09-08, 09:09 AM
J
We got the duct put back on.I am leary about putting the ceiling up.

Old 12-09-08, 03:33 PM
Humidity gauge! You can buy a $10 unit at Radio Shack, Wall mart etc.

Old 12-09-08, 03:52 PM
J
Sorry

I didnt understand what kind of gauge.I will try and do that.What should I be looking for,what should the humidity range be?
Humidity gauge! You can buy a $10 unit at Radio Shack, Wall mart etc.

Old 12-09-08, 07:20 PM
Depends on outside air temps. But 40 would be a good #.

Old 12-09-08, 08:10 PM
J
we have snow here and it is below freezing.

Depends on outside air temps. But 40 would be a good #.

Old 12-10-08, 07:39 AM
M
Originally Posted by joytohave View Post
I have just started noticing condensation on the heating ducts of our Amana air command hi efficiency 80 gas furnace. It is locate in our basement.
We also just found that it is doing it where the duct,which was rusted, runs through the attic to the outside.
What is the problem?Is there anything we can do to help this problem that wont cost us a small fortune?

THis concerns me! The pipe that runs through the attic and to the outside (rusted)? IF this is the flue pipe that fits to the top of the furnace, the condenstation you are getting is from the flue gases. THIS IS DANGEROUS! not only could you have a rusted pipe leaking, you could have a blocked flue. Birds love to build nest in them and then they die of carbonmonoxide.
You need to have this looked at by a pro.

Old 12-10-08, 08:24 AM
J
We replaced the pipe.I believe they did find part of a left over nest.It is cleared out now.That something we need to keep an eye on.

Originally Posted by Mr Happy View Post
THis concerns me! The pipe that runs through the attic and to the outside (rusted)? IF this is the flue pipe that fits to the top of the furnace, the condenstation you are getting is from the flue gases. THIS IS DANGEROUS! not only could you have a rusted pipe leaking, you could have a blocked flue. Birds love to build nest in them and then they die of carbonmonoxide.
You need to have this looked at by a pro.

Old 12-10-08, 08:44 AM
M
Good!
Do you live in a ranch or a 2 story? are the duct condensating only on 1 level? are the ducts insulated in the basement and attic? How old is the furnace? Being from MO. what type of foundation do you have? Is it concrete or Stone? Or is it more like some of the older midwesten basments that are just dug out and dirt?

Old 12-10-08, 08:53 AM
J
We actually have 4 levels.You walk in the front door is first,go up 5 stairs two,go up 6 stairs three and 5th level is basement.Basement is concrete.The ducts are not insulated,been on hubby about that.We have lived here going on 6 yrs and I can tell the furnace is not new.The condensation was in basement and the we found it in the attic.When the leak was found the condensation in the basement had already stopped.

Good!
Do you live in a ranch or a 2 story? are the duct condensating only on 1 level? are the ducts insulated in the basement and attic? How old is the furnace? Being from MO. what type of foundation do you have? Is it concrete or Stone? Or is it more like some of the older midwesten basments that are just dug out and dirt?

Old 12-10-08, 09:19 AM
M
Alright, Lets start with insulating the ducts in the basement. When you say the condensation had already stopped in the basement, did you no longer use the A/C? Condensation NORMALLY only occurs in the ducts when the cool air is blowing through them and the surrounding temp is warmer (beer can effect) Now with the attic, are those duct insulated? If these are the problem areas then I would say to insulate all ducts. the ones on level 2 and 3 have some insulation value just because they are in the walls.
Get hubby to take care of this on the HONEY DO NOW list

Old 12-10-08, 09:25 AM
J
Well the heating vents in the basement have not sweated,from the heat.They put one of those flexible pipes in the attic.What you recommend to use to insulate ,something easy,hubby is not very handy.LOL

Alright, Lets start with insulating the ducts in the basement. When you say the condensation had already stopped in the basement, did you no longer use the A/C? Condensation NORMALLY only occurs in the ducts when the cool air is blowing through them and the surrounding temp is warmer (beer can effect) Now with the attic, are those duct insulated? If these are the problem areas then I would say to insulate all ducts. the ones on level 2 and 3 have some insulation value just because they are in the walls.
Get hubby to take care of this on the HONEY DO NOW list

Old 12-10-08, 09:37 AM
M
The simpleist way is to try and find a silver bubble wrap type insulation (no itchy fiberglass on the skin) and a foil tape. Wrap all bare duct with 2 wraps. You can just tape the joints. Lay the insulation on the pipe and first tape it to the metal, then wrap and tape it to itself. Repeat

Old 12-10-08, 09:41 AM
M
By the way you can cut this stuff with scissors

Old 12-10-08, 09:44 AM
J
Will they know what I am talking about at home depot? By the way thank you for your help.Where were you this weekend when all the went down.LOLThank you again.

By the way you can cut this stuff with scissors

Old 12-10-08, 09:56 AM
M
They should, I would check around the water heaters.

I was out of town and away from a computer.

You are welcome and Good Luck!

Be safe and have an annual check up on your equipment.

Old 12-10-08, 10:12 AM
J
I will.thank you again.Will look you up if I have anymore issues.

They should, I would check around the water heaters.

I was out of town and away from a computer.

You are welcome and Good Luck!

Be safe and have an annual check up on your equipment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: